According to a survey conducted by Salesforce, around 51% of marketing leaders are already using artificial intelligence (AI), with 22% planning to embrace it in the next few years. AI has transformed several aspects of marketing – improving efficiency, personalization, and overall effectiveness. Advanced machine learning techniques and algorithms have empowered marketers to analyze vast amounts of data, extract meaningful insights, and make data-driven decisions.
One important area where artificial intelligence has made a substantial impact is translation. As businesses expand their reach globally, accurate and culturally relevant translations have become crucial, and AI-assisted translation tools, such as neural machine translation, have significantly improved the speed and quality of these translations.
Studies have shown that effective translation positively affects ad performance with research from CSA reporting that 76% of online consumers prefer to purchase products in their native language. Furthermore, on average, companies experience a 20% increase in conversion when landing pages and ads are localized. So, how can we harness the power of AI-assisted translations to positively impact ad effectiveness?
The Impact of AI on Translation
AI can be used for translations through a technique like neural machine translation (NMT) which utilizes artificial neural networks for processing and translating text from one language to another. Unlike traditional rule-based or statistical machine translation, NMT employs deep learning algorithms that learn the patterns and nuances of language through extensive training on vast amounts of bilingual data.
Global brands often face challenges when their marketing messages fail to resonate with local audiences due to poor translations and these blunders can have a significant impact on brand perception and customer engagement. One example is the case of HSBC Bank, whose “Assume Nothing” campaign was translated into various languages. However, the translation into Chinese came out as “Do Nothing,” completely altering the intended message and causing confusion among Chinese audiences.
Such slip-ups highlight the importance of accurate and culturally relevant translations but AI-assisted translation tools have improved the translation process and reduced the likelihood of such errors. By leveraging AI, global brands can ensure more accurate translations, effectively conveying their brand messages and connecting with local audiences on a deeper level.
Where Can Translation Play a Role in Marketing?
When it comes to marketing, translation is utilized across various types of text to cater to a global audience. Here are some key areas where translation plays a crucial role:
Website and Online Content
- Translating website content: Localizing websites allows businesses to effectively engage with customers in different regions, providing a seamless user experience.
- Localizing product descriptions: E-commerce businesses benefit from translating and adapting product descriptions to resonate with local customers.
- Translating blogs and articles: Companies that publish content for content marketing purposes can reach a wider audience by translating their articles into multiple languages.
Social Media and Digital Marketing
- Localizing digital ad campaigns: Translating online ads and optimizing them for local markets helps increase click-through rates and conversions.
- Translating social media posts: Brands utilize translation to engage with global audiences on platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Translating email marketing campaigns: Businesses can effectively communicate with their international customers by translating promotional emails, newsletters, and automated email sequences.
Advertisements and Promotional Materials
- Translating ad campaigns: Marketing slogans, taglines, and catchphrases need to be translated accurately while maintaining their intended impact.
- Localizing advertising content: Advertisements often require adaptation to suit cultural nuances, preferences, and sensitivities of different target markets.
- Translating multimedia content: Videos, audio ads, and visual advertisements need subtitles, voice-overs, or dubbing in different languages.
Packaging and Product Labels
- Translating packaging information: Ensuring that product labels, instructions, and safety warnings are accurately translated for different markets is crucial for compliance and customer understanding.
- Adapting packaging design: Localization may involve adjusting packaging visuals and graphics to align with cultural preferences and local regulations.
By translating and localizing these various types of marketing text, businesses can effectively connect with diverse audiences, increase brand awareness, and drive customer engagement globally.
Optimizing Local-Language Ads
Numerous use cases and research studies validate that local language ads are more effective in engaging and resonating with target audiences. CSA Research conducted a study on the impact of localization and multilingual content on customer behavior and the findings showed that 40% of consumers would never buy from websites not available in their language, and 65% of them prefer content in their language, even if it’s poor quality.
When it comes to global brands, Coca-Cola’s “Share a Coke” campaign is a prominent example. The company localized its marketing materials by printing popular local names on its bottles and cans which significantly improved the brand’s sales and engagement. Reportedly, Coca-Cola experienced a 2.5% increase in the U.S. and a 7% increase in sales in Australia after implementing this personalized approach.
Machine Learning in Action
Machine learning has been instrumental in increasing ad effectiveness for customers by enabling data-driven targeting, personalized messaging, and optimization. Algorithms analyze vast amounts of user data to identify relevant audience segments, deliver tailored ads, and continuously learn and refine strategies for improved engagement, conversions, and ROI.
Eventbrite, for example, partnered with Unbabel to translate all of its content (over a million words), including its website, user interface, and apps, in order to successfully expand into new markets. Physioswiss also worked with Unbabel to successfully translate its marketing content and press releases in the correct language variants, while meeting strict deadlines (including 24-hour turnarounds for up to 20,000 words).
Unlock Global Success with AI-Assisted Translation
Unbabel takes a unique approach to global translations by combining the power of machine translation with human expertise. This approach helps our customers solve translation challenges while offering better reach, improved engagement, and enhanced brand perception.
Unbabel’s machine translation technology utilizes AI algorithms to provide accurate and contextually relevant translations, while quality estimation technology ensures the highest level of translation quality. Embracing Unbabel’s solution empowers businesses to overcome language barriers and achieve global success in their marketing endeavors.
Request a demo to unlock the benefits of efficient and scalable translations.